Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Completing Hilly Half Marathon... Check!

This weekend, I completed my first half marathon for the season. It was the North Shore Half Marathon which i signed up for 5 days ago. Not quite sure why so impulsive... maybe it was the amazing swag bag (flip flops, wicking shirt, wicking hat, aluminum water bottle :) After i signed up, i then looked at the course only to find that there were 5 miles of hills... YUCK! I was thinking more about all the John Hughes Movies shot there (Ferris Bueller, Home Alone, 16 Candles) than the thought of hills.

Well, it turned out to be great. I finished only 90 seconds slower than i did in last falls half. Considering the hills and me still being out of shape, i will take it. The hills were killer and i felt there was only a 2 mile stretch of flat land in the forest preserve. The "famous North Beach Hill," which i will rename Nic's Heartbreak hill was extremely steep but after i realize I could walk up at the speed i was trying to jog up, my spirits were lifted as i walked up the incline while re-applying some chapstick.

Scott and Josh were there to greet me at the finish line which is always the best part of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment