Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Milwaukee Mayhem.....

Murphy's Law said that if i didn't run.. i would get depressed... and then slip another disk getting into my car.... so, after some discussion with Scott, my doc and my boss.. i got the go ahead to go for it! My only goal was the finish in regulation time.

After listening to a church conference, we headed up to Milwaukee. We ate some yummy Mexican food and settled in to our lovely Super8 Motel. (mind you: the ONLY hotel within a 8 mile radius of the start). We watched lots of college football while eating some DQ to get me pumped up! Josh loved being in the hotel and wouldn't stop jumping on the bed.. as much as i should have stopped him.... i found it too cute and let him jump away.


The next morning we woke up only 45 minutes before start and made our way over to the start. It was so nice to have a small race and not have to wake up at the crack of dawn. As i hadn't run in OVER 3 WEEKS, i was quite nervous how my back/body would hold up. The first 18 miles were amazing. My body felt great, i kept great pace for me (11:30 min/mile). It felt sooo good to run again. The sweetest thing on the race was a guy in a farm house that hooked up some huge speakers and was playing his accordian. SWEET!

Miles 18-20 were ok, slowed down a bit but still jogging. At mile 20 my back started tightening up and I said I was happy to just walk to the finish. I stopped at the next water station around mile 21 and got my foot stuck in the water grate on the street and fell over. That was the beginning of my demise. After getting back up, my entire body got so sore. At this point, it started raining and temp dropped to mid 40's. Almost 1:45 minutes later, and breaking down emotionally a few times, i crossed the finish line. I finished just under 6 hours. I must say it was one of the most difficult things I have ever done but soo happy i went through with it. A huge thank you to all those who emailed/texted/called for support and especially Scott and Josh for their support and cheering me on during the race!!! To a great race season and i am thinking a half ironman next... but back surgery and hopefully a baby before that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment