Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Soldier Field 10 Miler

With that said, I was pleased to hit a mini milestone for myself. I ran in the Soldier Field 10 Miler yesterday. As we were lucky enough to stay at a friends in the West Loop, I was able to take a cab to the start line and not have to wake up at the crack of dawn. There were 9,000 registered for the race so we were packed like cattle in the corrals. Always funny to listen to other people talk before the race. As a solo runner, it is hard not to listen to the people around you. In my earshot, i had a group of 40-something guys yelling about some of their 'glory runs', some kids talking about how much they were going to drink afterwards and some girls extremely concerned about their hydration belts they bought the night before. All conversations were interesting I couldn't NOT listen.
After the horn, we were on our way. I will freely admit, my longest run since my back surgery was 3 miles so i had no clue how i was going to hold up. (Scott so eloquently put it a few nights ago... "you do realize that 10 miles is a long way ... seriously, 10 miles")

With that added confidence :) , I was able to run the first 8 miles pretty easily and then when i realized i wasn't going to pass out of exhaustion, i walked for a bit. I even managed to do some stretching and finished the last 1.5 miles with a nice trot. My pace has slowed down but i honestly could care less.

No comments:

Post a Comment