Sunday, March 31, 2013

Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon Race Review

Well, it took me about till Wednesday to have my ankle start feeling normal again. I also got hit with a cold/fever for a few days so i was definitely laying low for a few reasons.  Got a few miles in this week but took it pretty easy as the ankle was pretty pissed at me from the 50K.  However, I signed up for this race a while ago and wasn't going to punk out.

PRE RACE:
Parking- was a litte nervous about parking as they had many warnings on the website that is fills up fast.  However, I wasn't quite worried enough to get there early enough to ensure i would be able to park in the main lot but i got lucky.  Rolled into parking lot at 7:45 and made it with some spaces to spare. 

Packet pickup was really easy and loved the Nike Race shorts as the swag instead of another crappy tshirt. They also were selling shorts from last year for $5 so i picked up a pair for my girlfriend who wanted to run but couldn't b/c it sold out.   Gear check was smooth as i think most people put their stuff in the car. When i went to check, it looked like there were 5 bags there!

Met up with two groups before the race which was cool.  Chicago Running Bloggers and Half Fanatics.  Both groups were awesome and fun to meet people face to face!
Middle Row:  left- Barb and I with our medals, right- Chicago Running Bloggers... Bottom Left- Half Fanatics

RACE:  Started right on time!
Course:  Never ran in this area before but it was a simple course with out and back loops with most of the run going through the forest preseve path but the first 1.5ish miles are run through the parking lot drive.  The course was flat minus 2 bridges and even though it was on the trail, there was really no one else out on the course.   Aid stations were every 2 miles (and since it was an out/back, they set them up so you went through them on the out and on the back). Course was really well marked which is always appreciated and there were a lot of volunteers.  There was no split timing for those that might be interested.

Weather was great.   Much warmer than last weekend!  I will note if you run this race, LOOK UP when you start smelling animals.  There are elk literally right next to the path just hanging out in a fenced area.  I had my head down on the way out and didn't even notice! 

My personal goal for this race was to take it nice and easy for a few reasons:
1.  I just ran a 50K last weekend
2.  My ankle was swollen still from the 50K
3.  See Reason #1 again :)
4.  Probably most important....  I needed to finalize how I am going to pace Lincoln Half next weekend.  I have been assigned to be the sweeper (3:00 half with 1:28/1:32 splits) so i needed to work that out.

My plan was to run the first 4 miles at 10:00 minutes and then start trying to find a good grove for timing.  I figured I had 9 miles to try to play around with it and needed to get serious about timing the Lincoln Half.  Slowing down proved to be harder than i expected as i felt like after 4 miles, I was just in the groove and ready to keep the pace going.  However, stuck to the plan and took 3 different approaches for 3 miles each.  (1. Run 5 min/walk 2; 2. run 3/walk 2; 3. run .4 miles/walk .1 miles)  All felt very different but managed to clock 2- 15 miles during the 9 miles so was happy i could find that pace even if it felt slow, i know I can be upbeat and cheery for the people I am pacing!

At about mile 9, i kept running back and forth with another girl.  Since I was run/walking, i was the annoying person that would keep bouncing back and forth from her.  We exchanged a few words here and there and then full on chatted after a mile.  She did the run .4M/walk .1M with me and it was awesome to pass the time.  We chatted about all sorts of things, made connections with fellow runners we knew and really made the time pass easily.  LOVE THAT about racing.   (Something funny to note that the girl i ended running with was in the Half Fanatic pic too!  I didn't even notice until  i got home and looked at the pics!) We walked our final .1 over the hill but saw the picture guy and told him to wait for us to start running again... he acted like he found us funny (and can't wait to see those pics by the way) Crossed the finish line in 2:35:xx and was happy with the time considering all the things i wanted out of this race.

Scott and J were at the finish line!  We quickly ran over to the kids egg hunt which josh was really excited about.  Amazing at how many eggs can get snatched up in so little time!  After the kids race, it was the adults turn.  I wanted to stay as there were some awesome prizes to win.... however, with 7000 eggs, i only managed to snatch up 6.  pathetic i know but man, those runners were serious about those baskets! {sidenote: i wanted to show a picture of piranhas as an analogy to the runners swarming and consuming the eggs.. but opted for no picture as "piranhas attacking" is a really bad phrase for google pictures... like really bad}  Anyways,  when i got back, i told scott it only takes one and sadly my eggs only bore my tootsie rolls.  BUT the girl next to me WON A BASKET! Was excited for her and then really jealous all in a matter for like 5 seconds. Guess better luck next time.  Great race.  Will be back!

Also, just wanted to immortalize this pic of me front and center of Chicago Athlete's FB background.  Although it could have been a better pic.. it could have been A LOT worse so i will take that as a win! :) 

13 comments:

  1. Good luck on pacing next week! I can only imagine the challenge of being "on pace" especially when it's not your regular pace area...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the few miles i trialed it really helped!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I'm thrilled to find your blog actually - I'm running Lincoln next weekend and my husband and I were debating whether to hang with the 3:00 pacer or the 2:45. I'm relieved to hear you're run/walking to pace - I can't run solid right now because I'm pregnant and my ab muscles get sore fast if I try to run without walk breaks. I'm thinking we may hang with you and if I'm feeling okay the last few miles we may surge ahead.


    And hah, I managed to get 9 eggs - those eggs disappeared FAST! I only grabbed candy too but my cousin managed to win a 20$ Dick Pond giftcard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Heather! We will have fun and you have the best excuse in the world to take walking breaks! our plan is to run 3, walk 2 at this point. Probably around 5.3 MPH for 3 and then 3.7 for 2. There is another girl that will be pacing with me.

      Look for me! i will be wearing a Mary Todd headdress or sorts and hopefully a pantaloon like skirt! :)

      Delete
    2. That sounds great! Look forward to it :)

      Delete
  3. It was great seeing you this weekend! My eggs were just filled with candy. I'm sad I didn't snag any prizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my eggs had a bent up tootsie roll in it.. low blow!

      Delete
  4. Great recap. Definitely a race I'm going to check out next year, sounds like a blast. Have fun pacing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Would love to run it together and then we can push each other over for eggs :)

      Delete
  5. Just found your blog from skinny runner girl! :) LOVE it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Love you blog too! Are you from C-Bus? Bro is finishing up Dental School there and ran Capital City Half with him. Loved running through my old stopping ground! (went to OSU)... Great race!

      Delete
  6. I also just found it from skinny runner - and LOVE IT - we share a TON of similiaries - crazy Mama, runner, and then of course the etc etc etc etc part of our lives :) Ran my very first 1/2 marathon on St. Patricks Day - I am still enjoying the high :) Happy to have found you! www.colorushealthy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun that you are going to be a pacer tomorrow! I hope your ankle has calmed down :)

    LOL at the piranhas attacking reference. Now I know NOT to google that ;)

    So cool you were on their FB page! :)

    ReplyDelete