Sunday, August 30, 2015

Chicago SuperSprint Race Report

Leading up to the race, I had a crappy back for 2 weeks.  Nothing earth shattering but didn't have full range of motion, some twinges when i bent over and not able to sit super well.  I wasn't even sure if i would be able to do the race 2 days before the event but I was getting better and better and thought it was worth a go.  My chiro said as long as i sat up straight and took the run easy, i should be ok.

Did packet pickup morning of.  It was raining and we got a bit of a late start so it was hectic race morning.  Scot dropped us off and josh and I made our way to pickup tents.  We got our packets with about 10 minutes for me to set up transition. Annoyed they ran out of shirts and had to settle for a mens tee. Set up quickly and then helped josh set up.  Went over to the start and saw two employees that were participating in their first ever tris.  They were not excited about the cold water but a little late to bail! haha

Race:
Wowsers, it was cold!  I could not get in a groove for the life of me.  But it was only 375 Meters so it was over pretty quick.  The water (although cold) was super clear which was nice.  Ran up to transition and gingerly put on my socks (no back twinges) and onto the bike.  Three laps around on the bike.  No big deal.  Then the run.  Got started and was feeling a tight back and wasn't sure how it was going to go.  I have 2 more triathlons this year so i didn't want to abuse myself.  Right as I was thinking about this.. there was a lady running on the  side of the course and someone was telling her to stay on the correct side.  She was struggling b/c she didn't want to run in the puddles and I made the quick decision I would stick with her.  Soooo happy I made the decision, it made my race.  We chatted, held hands, ran, sprinted, walked, jogged, asked the aid station why they didn't have pop and had a blast.  Really made for a great race!  Love this sport.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a really fun time, I love how you make friends on all these different races!

    ReplyDelete