Sunday, November 29, 2015

Winnetka Turkey Trot


A thanksgiving isn't complete without a turkey trot.  I was really bummed not to be in Cleveland this year but was thankful to have a friend to trot with in Chicago.  Jen and I chose the Winnetka Turkey Trot by Carpe Diem Racing.   Great logistics, course and support. Leading up to the race, there was multiple opportunities to get your bib and shirt (and they had same day packet pickup) .  The tech shirt was very cute with women's specific option (it helps navy is one of my favorite colors) and they were selling old race shirts and current additional swag at a great price.  Love races that offer bargain shirts from previous races.  I have plenty but for many getting into running, this is a great way to stock up on tech tees at a great price.  Met up with Jen about 20 minutes before the start.  I had already gotten my bib at Road Runner earlier in the week so all I had to do was park and get to the start.  There was ample street parking and a free garage which made logistics easy peasy.  
About 5 minutes before go time, we all made our way to the Hubbard Woods trail.  The trail runs parallel to the Metra tracks and everyone scurried over the tracks and down the stairs to the trail. There had been rain and snow earlier in the week but luckily the path was pretty clear.  Also, as a sidenote, this trail can be seen in Home Alone.  After our thanksgiving feast, we were watching the movie and right after Kevin steals the toothbrush and he slides on the skating rink, they show a train and the trail... so basically, everyone in the world has probably seen the start line :)

Almost exact location of start.  
Trot.2015Map
Race:  Was told this was a new venue this year and I thought it went really smoothly.  The RD made sure that there wasn't any 2 way traffic on the trail and the streets were closed for super easy racing for the runners.  Jen and I took the race easy.  I kindof overdressed and was dying after a mile. Shed my Lulu jacket and we kept trucking.  Knew some of the course marshalls so took some time to say hello and took our time.  We had no agenda other than to have fun and catch up.  Last stretch was on the same path we started on.

Overall:  Great local race with good swag that made the process easy. If I am in Chicago for thanksgiving, this will be my turkey trot.


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun race and I love the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a good shirt.. and womens cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to enjoy Thanksgiving. This event looks like a fun event. Well I am going to throw thanksgiving at famous venues of Chicago for my lovely friends. Hope to have great fun there.

    ReplyDelete