Wednesday, July 6, 2016

One Step at a Time- Cove School 5K

Last weekend I had the opportunity to participate in The Cove School 5K Run/Walk One Step at a Time.  The Race Director at Carpe Diem Racing is a friend of mine and always puts on quality North Shore events and was excited to join Cove School along with my family.  What made this event even more special was I was able to hand out Cove Kids (students and alumni) medals from Medals4Mettle.  This charity has been dear to my heart for many years after giving my first marathon medal to my cousin (who past away a little over a year ago).  She inspired me even though we didn't live near each other and really showed true mettle and courage throughout her life.  Ever since giving that medal, M4M has been part of my life and i would like to believe i am better for it. 

The Cove School "serves children with complex learning disabilities from Kindergarten through 12th grade" and it located in the North burbs of Chicago.  Children are bused from the entire Chicagoland area to attend the school because of their specialized programs.  Students and former students along with their families ran the course on a beautiful June morning in Winnetka.  There were so many volunteers on the course to assist runners along with an enthusiastic aid station.  It really was a unifying race.  After we finished, we handed out medals to the Cove Kids after they finished their 5K.  Josh helped and it was fun to see them get excited about picking them out and some coming back b/c they wanted a different one.  I hope they enjoyed the experience as much as we did.  We handed out 45medals in total and hope the students know they earned them!


Personally, I decided to run the race with Scott and our goal was to not walk but feel good at the finish.  Considering I am still learning how to really run with Scott, I didn't have a ton of expectations except to not get elbowed in the face.  Ended with a 31:12 which ended up being 1st in my AG.  Let's remember that the majority of the people were walking or jogging with their families but I will take it!  There were about 3 other people running from what i could tell and 4 walking in my AG. 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful race and man 1st in your age group. That's a fun way to start any day. Congratulations!

    A few weeks ago I got second in my age group and my daughter's first question was ... how many people were in the age group? lol.

    ReplyDelete